Thursday, March 11, 2021

H & R Block: Not the best choice.

I just completed my 2020 Federal taxes. I used H & R Block's website and did them myself. Last year I visited their office and spent the hundred-bucks to have a professional do the work.  It was worth it.  The professional did a great job, I got a nice refund, and there was no fuss, and I got a copy of the worksheets and the 1040-SR for my records.  

This year, I decided I was only going to use H & R Block but I wanted to take a crack at it myself.  Taxes have always been a headache for me.  They're too complicated with all the forms and numbers, but I'm reasonably intelligent and I would struggle through it. I figured that using Block would mean I would have access to last year's work. Nope.  I figured that the software would be as friendly as Intuit's TurboTax® or 2nd Story Software's TaxAct®.  Definitely not.  The TV advertised that I would have a tax professional to help me.  Not for free.  And, when it was all done, I couldn't print off the worksheets or 1040-SR.  

To be fair and honest I paid the $60 to have a professional review the taxes.  Perhaps after the taxes have been finalized by the professional, I'll have a way to print off the work.  I'm holding my breath.  

However, the interface was a sparse as it could be.  The amount of readily available free help was not that helpful, and not so available.  As soon as I started to enter my HSA information, my free version cost me $29.99.  Moreover, I wasn't able to enter the 5498-SA or the interest earned on my checking or savings accounts.  I know that filing small amounts of income isn't required if it's interest or dividend.  However, I would have like to have had the opportunity to input the form and have the software say it wasn't necessary.  

Where I feel I should have been able to file completely for free under a partnership between the IRS agreement with major brands.  However, just like a politician's promise to lower taxes, as soon as you file more than a W2 and a mortgage 1098 you'll be buying the service instead of just performing your patriotic duty.  

Next year I may try FreeTaxUSA.  These folks are advertising a truly free tax filing.  I'm anxious to see if they'll keep their word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment